Missed the World Dental Congress? Access the programme, meet the new leadership and more
More than 2,000 delegates attended the Congress online and FDI’s General Assembly met virtually for the first-time ever to vote on key decisions, to help shape the way forward for the organization.
The first fully virtual World Dental Congress welcomed more than 2,000 delegates from 81 countries, with 100 Exhibiting Companies & Organizations. Did you miss the sessions? Don’t worry, you can still register and access the programme on-demand for 90 days. Giving you the chance to gain up to 140 continuing education credits. The sky’s the limit with over 200 course offerings.
FDI General Assembly decisions: welcoming new leadership, members, and policy statements
2021 FDI elections overview
The General Assembly (GA) is the supreme legislative and governing body of FDI. The GA sets FDI policies, the strategic plan, missions and aims, and monitors progress on their achievement. The GA usually meets face-to-face, during FDI’s World Dental Congress.
However, given the 2021 congress was a special virtual edition. For the first-time ever, in the over 120-year history of FDI, the GA met online and took key decisions by voting through a tailor-made platform.
FDI holds elections each year during the GA and Council meetings held at the Congress, where FDI’s leadership is appointed. The GA also approves policy statements and new members. However, no elections took place in 2020 and the GA was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2020 Policy Statements voting was therefore, also delayed until this year. The 2021 results were:
President-Elect & Treasurer
Dental Practice Committee
Membership Liaison and Support Committee
Public Health Committee
New policy statements
FDI policy statements, which detail FDI’s position on issues of interest within the oral health community, are put together through consultation, discussion, and consensus among leading dental experts from around the world. This year, the GA adopted 11 policy statements, five for 2020 and six for 2021:
- Intraoral Light-Curing of Resin-Based Materials
- Management of Cleft Lip and Palates
- Action against illegal dental practice (2009)
- Ethical Recruitment of Dental Volunteers
- Improving Access to Oral Care
- The Role of Oral Health Practitioners in Tobacco Cessation
- The Role of Dentists and Members of the Dental Team During Infectious Diseases Outbreaks
- Infection Prevention and Control in Dental Practice - Revision
- Basic Life Support (BLS) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) in the Dental Practice
- Amalgam (Part 1): Safe Management of Waste and Mercury
- Amalgam (Part 2): Safe Use and Phase Down of Dental Amalgam
FDI welcomes new members
- Association Dentaire Haitienne et Orthodontie
- Jamaica Dental Association
- Somalia National Dental Association
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- Foundation Nakao for Worldwide Oral Health